Sunday, December 4, 2022
More
    HomeWorldIndonesia stadium tragedy: 130 people dead following soccer match stampede

    Indonesia stadium tragedy: 130 people dead following soccer match stampede



    CNN
     — 

    At least 131 people are dead after chaos and violence erupted during an Indonesian league soccer match into the early hours of Sunday, according to East Java’s Governor, in what is one of the world’s deadliest stadium disasters of all time.

    Supporters of Arema FC and rival Persebaya Surabaya, two of Indonesia’s biggest soccer teams, clashed in the stands after home team Arema FC was defeated 3-2 at a match in the city of Malang in East Java, police said.

    Supporters from the losing team then “invaded” the pitch and police fired tear gas, triggering a stampede that led to cases of suffocation, East Java police chief Nico Afinta said during a press conference following the event.

    Two police officers were also among the dead, the police chief said, adding that the crush occurred when fans fled for an exit gate.

    Indonesian President Joko Widodo, also known as Jokowi, on Sunday ordered all league matches to be halted until investigations were completed.

    “I have specially requested the police chief to investigate and get to the bottom of this case,” Jokowi said in a televised speech. “Sportsmanship, humanity and brotherhood should be upheld in Indonesia.”

    “I regret this tragedy and hope that it will be the last to occur in Indonesian football. We cannot have anymore (of this) in the future.”

    Videos filmed from inside the stadium late into the night and shared on social media showed fans, dressed in red and blue – the home team’s colors – storming the field and clashing with Indonesian security forces, who appeared to be wearing riot gear.

    Video footage broadcast on local news channels also showed images of body bags, Reuters reported.

    Smoke, which appeared to be tear gas, was also seen later in videos, with several people shown being carried into a building. Officials said that many had been admitted to nearby hospitals, suffering from “lack of oxygen and shortness of breath.”

    Located in East Java, the Kanjuruhan Stadium is used mostly for soccer matches – with its full capacity estimated at 38,000 spectators.

    But 42,000 tickets were issued for Saturday’s game, according to ministry officials.

    “We had anticipated the (large) numbers and suggested that the game be held in the afternoon instead but it went on in the evening,” Indonesian Chief Security Minister Mahfud MD said in a post shared on his official social media accounts.

    He added that the stadium had been “filled beyond its maximum capacity.”

    “Our proposals were not met. I also would like to emphasize that supporters in the field were Arema FC’s.”

    There have been previous outbreaks of trouble at matches in Indonesia, with a strong rivalry between clubs sometimes leading to violence among supporters.

    “All sports clubs (in Indonesia) that compete between the cities are always intense,” Indonesian football analyst Dex Glenniza told CNN, who noted that it was “forbidden” for supporters to visit each other’s stadiums.

    “(This is) in order to avoid friction and clashes between supporters,” he said. “But there are still many incidents between the supporters, most of which off the field.”

    Soccer fans invade the pitch at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang, East Java on Saturday.

    With Indonesia set to host next year’s FIFA Under-20 World Cup and staging a bid for the 2023 Asian Cup, there is now global scrutiny on the country.

    Observers note that the death toll from the Kanjuruhan Stadium disaster has surpassed that of other global soccer disasters like the 1989 Hillsborough Stadium tragedy in Sheffield, England, which saw 96 Liverpool supporters being crushed to death.

    Criticism is also growing over the police’s handling of Saturday’s event. In a statement released on Sunday, watchdog group Indonesian Police Watch (IPW) called for accountability and the “removal” of Malang Police Chief Ferli Hidayat.

    “This is the worst event in Indonesian soccer. The police chief should be ashamed and resign,” IPW said.

    “The death toll must be thoroughly investigated and President Jokowi must pay attention,” it added.

    Exiled Indonesia rights advocate Veronica Koman of Amnesty International condemned the police’s use of tear gas.

    “This instance of abuse of tear gas by police is unlawful and amounts to torture,” she said.

    “Tear gas is illegal in warfare – but why is it still legal for domestic use?”

    Security officers detain a fan during a clash between supporters of two Indonesian soccer teams at Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang, East Java, Indonesia.

    The Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) has suspended matches next week as a result of the deadly tragedy, and banned Arema FC from hosting games for the rest of the season.

    “PSSI regrets the actions of Aremania supporters at the Kanjuruhan Stadium,” the association’s chairman, Mochamad Iriawan, said in a statement issued on Sunday.

    He added that the incident had “tarnished the face of Indonesian football” and they were supporting official investigations into the event.

    “We are sorry and apologize to the families of the victims and all parties for the incident,” he said.

    “For that PSSI immediately formed an investigation team and immediately left for Malang,” he added.

    A relative of one of the victims cries as she waits for news at the Saiful Anwar Hospital in Malang, East Java, on Sunday.

    People looking for their relatives review photographs provided by volunteers in Malang on Sunday.

    FIFA, soccer’s international governing body, extended their condolences to the families and friends of the victims, calling the incident “a dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension.”

    “Together with FIFA and the global football community, all our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, those who have been injured, together with the people of the Republic of Indonesia, the Asian Football Confederation, the Indonesian Football Association, and the Indonesian Football League, at this difficult time,” a statement from FIFA president Gianni Infantino read.

    Meanwhile, the host team Arema FC apologized to all involved in the tragedy in a statement posted to its website.

    “As the President of Arema FC, I apologize to all residents of Malang who were affected by this incident, I am very concerned and strongly condemn the riots at the Kanjuruhan stadium which resulted in more than one hundred deaths,” the statement said, quoting club president Gilang Widya Pramana.

    Persebaya also released a statement expressing their condolences, saying: “Persebaya’s big family expresses their deepest condolences for the loss of life after the Arema FC vs. Persebaya match. No life is worth football.”

    “Alfatihah for the victims and may the family left behind be given fortitude.”

    Condolences poured in for victims and family, with the English Premier League also sharing a message of condolence. “The thoughts of everyone at the Premier League are with those affected by the tragic events at Kanjuruhan Stadium last night.”

    RELATED ARTICLES

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    - Advertisment -
    Google search engine

    Most Popular

    Recent Comments